All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume contains selected papers given at the conference Violence, Culture and Identity held at St Andrews University in 2003. It contributes to the debate on the role of culture in propagating, mediating and controlling violence in society, concentrating on the relationship between culture and identity-formation in Germany and Austria from the Middle Ages to the present. Bringing together the work of twenty-two scholars with expertise in different literary and historical periods, the volume probes the complexities of representations of violence enacted and suffered, of affirmative and n-affirmative violence in text and visual form, revealing the often blurred line between victim and victimizer. Violence in its discursive and material forms is investigated, using the theoretical tools of sociology, post-colonial and gender studies, history and psychology as well as of literary criticism. The collection of essays focuses particularly on the relationship between war and identity, on 1970s terrorism and identity, on violence and the construction of gender, and on contemporary writing in German.
- Author BiographyThe Editor: Helen Chambers is Professor of German at St Andrews University. She has published widely on modern German and Austrian literature, on reception history and Anglo-German cultural relations.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/10/2005
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleCultural Identity Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight600 g
- Width220 mm
- Height150 mm
- Edited byHelen Chambers
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.90
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.