Virtuality Check: Power Relations and Alternative Strategies in the Information Society by Francois Fortier (Hardback, 2001)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $11.12+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTechlogies are neither the naive product of disinterested science r the deterministic bearers of social processes. They are shaped by existing social relations ...relations of exploitation and oppression, but also of resistance and solidarity. Much sweeping away of fantasies, mystification and scarecrows is needed if we are to uncover the foudations, trends, stakes, battles and consequences of the so-called electronic frontier and its new ecomy. - from the introduction Information and communications techlogies (ICTs) and the new ecomy they herald are generally either glorified as unprecedented opportunities for post-industrial enfranchisement, or vilified as a mirage conjured up for their own ends by those who run the world. This book sets out to review the relationship between information techlogies and society. It examines the development of ICTs, and explores the ways in which they are used to subjugate workers, manipulate consumers, and extend media mopolies and commercial control. Fortier argues that, in their predominant forms, ICTs do little more than polarise ecomic and political power in an anti-democratic fashion. Yet alternative uses of ICTs already exist and have been promoted by progressive social sectors for nearly two decades. Concluding with a study of these initiatives, Fortier shows how they are aimed at facilitating rather than obstructing democracy.
- Author BiographyFrancois Fortier is a political economist who has contributed extensively to books and journals on the political economy of the Internet.
- Author(s)Francois Fortier
- PublisherVerso Books
- Date of Publication21/06/2001
- SubjectComputing: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVerso Books
- Weight420 g
- Width141 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.00Trending at AU $19.18
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.37
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.