Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $96.58
About this product
- DescriptionAs the book's subtitle says, 'Visible Gods' truly does give revealing glimpses into the ancient heritage of the Brahmins of India. Combining scholarly narrative, delightful stories depicting legends and stereotypes about Brahmins and brief biographies of some eminent Brahmins, the author presents a fascinating account of their character and obsessions, ideals and main achievements. At the same time, however, he is unsparing in his criticism of their major failures. Primarily intended to share with his family his feelings of pride as well as guilt in his Brahmin ancestry, the book should be of value to anyone interested in the cultural history of the world, especially of India. Steeped in history and full of kwledgeable commentary and learned insight, 'Visible Gods' is both thought provoking and educational.
- Author BiographyShivesh Thakur taught philosophy at various universities in India, New Zealand, England and America. He is the author and editor of several books, including Religion and Rational Choice, Religion and Social Justice and (co-edited, with Ninian Smart) Ethical and Political Dilemmas of Modern India. He is known to television viewers across the world for his contributions to '330 Million Gods', part 1 of the BBC Television series, The Long Search. He is now retired and lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Shivesh Thakur
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication24/07/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.