All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $39.56Trending at AU $42.72
About this product
- DescriptionThe Amharc Eireann film series (literally translated as Views/Visions of Ireland) was a cultural nationalist project sponsored by Gael Linn, an organization whose mandate was the revitalization of the Irish language through the use of modern media and techlogy. It was produced by Colm O Laoghaire, a member of a well-kwn Irish literary and nationalist family, the Plunketts. As the first and longest-running Irish-language documentary and news-film series, Amharc Eireann represented an attempt on the part of a few committed Irish-language enthusiasts to present Ireland to the Irish in a way that would instil a sense of pride in the country, and to promote the language in a way that the public would accept. Created during a period of rapid social, ecomic and political change, it reflects and records the dramatic transformation of Ireland from a rural, underdeveloped and relatively isolated nation into a modern member of the international ecomic and political community. This book, the first full-length investigation of the Amharc Eireann series as a historical artefact, makes an original and important contribution to our understanding of the complexities of twentieth-century Irish history.
- Author BiographyB. Mairead Pratschke is a lecturer in the Department of History at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. She was born in Galway and grew up in Malahide, Co. Dublin, before moving to Canada with her family in the late 1980s. She holds an MA in European Studies from the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium) and a PhD in History from McMaster University (Canada).
- Author(s)B. Mairead Pratschke
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication17/09/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleReimagining Ireland
- Series Part/Volume Number65
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight440 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.