All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $108.60
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
About this product
- DescriptionVisual Cultures of the Ethnic Chinese in Indonesia explores how visual representations shaped and were shaped by how the ethnic Chinese confronted the period of ecomic dislocation and radical social change during Dutch colonialism and the nationalist struggles in the decolonized Indonesia (including the post-1965 and 1998 social environments). How did the ethnic Chinese communities (re)present themselves to both their domestic and outside world under the changing regimes of representation? How did they visualize, symbolically, their place in Indonesian society? How did the visual shape the ambiguities of the Chinese, the perception of the ecomic identity, and the forgetting of their involvement in politics, cultures and histories of the nation? More broadly, how did the visual address the interconnectedness of domestic life, the urban cultural milieu, and ideologies of the state and the ruling class? The book is a response to two paradoxical socio-political phemena whose convergence is shaping the experience and conceptualization of ethnic Chinese in Indonesia. On the one hand, the ecomic, techlogical and cultural forces of colonialism and globalization have created conditions for the formation of ethnic Chinese capital(ists), while on the other, the state generated identity and identification constituted the discourses of othering the ethnic Chinese as foreign mirity.
- Author BiographyAbidin Kusno is a Professor at Faculty of Environmental Studies at York University, Toronto, Canada.
- Author(s)Abidin Kusno
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield International
- Date of Publication13/10/2016
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield International
- Content Note30 black & white halftones
- Weight526 g
- Width158 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.