All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt has become commonplace these days to speak of 'unpacking' texts. Voice and Vision is a book about packing that prose in the first place. While history is scholarship, it is also art - that is, literature. And while it has need to emulate fiction, slump into memoir, or become self-referential text, its composition does need to be conscious and informed. Voice and Vision is for those who wish to understand the ways in which literary considerations can enhance nfiction writing. At issue is t whether writing is scholarly or popular, narrative or analytical, but whether it is good. Fiction has guidebooks galore; journalism has shelves stocked with manuals; and, certain hybrids such as creative nfiction and the new journalism have evolved standards, esthetics, and justifications for how to transfer the dominant modes of fiction to topics in nfiction. But history and other serious or scholarly nfiction have thing comparable. Now this curious omission is addressed by Stephen Pyne as he analyzes and teaches the craft that undergirds whole realms of nfiction and book-based academic disciplines. With eminent good sense concerning the unique problems posed by research-based writing and with a wealth of examples from accomplished writers, Pyne, an experienced and skilled writer himself, explores the many ways to understand what makes good nfiction, and explains how to achieve it. His counsel and guidance will be invaluable to experts as well as vices in the art of writing serious and scholarly nfiction.
- Author BiographyStephen J. Pyne is a Regents Professor at Arizona State University. He is the author of many books, including Smokechasing and Tending Fire.
- Author(s)Stephen J. Pyne
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication10/05/2011
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note3 line illustrations
- Weight367 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Trade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.46
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.03
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.