All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Rangitoto to One Tree Hill, North Head to Mangere Lagoon, the city of Auckland is defined by the volcaes it is built upon. For tens of thousands of years, volcaes have profoundly shaped the area's geology and geography. And for hundreds of years, volcaes have played a key part in the lives of Maori and Pakeha - as sites for Maori pa and twentieth-century military fortifications, as kumara gardens and parks, as sources of stone and water. Volcaes of Auckland is the essential guide to these extraordinary natural phemena. After explaining the science of volcaes and the role that Auckland's volcaes played in the area's Maori and Pakeha history, the book then offers an illustrated guide to the geology and history of each Auckland volca. Through authoritative text, newly commissioned maps, spectacular new aerial photography, and large numbers of contemporary and historic illustrations, the book brings to life the nature and culture of the region's volcanic life. Volcaes of Auckland will be the book that locals and visitors, school children and policymakers, historians and scientists turn to as they look around trying to understand the volcaes that so shape life in Auckland.
- Author BiographyBruce W Hayward is an Auckland geologist and research scientist who was awarded the NZ Order of Merit for services to geological conservation. He is the author of many books including A Field Guide to Auckland, co-authored with historic heritage consultant Graeme Murdoch. Previously Director of Heritage, Auckland Regional Council, Graeme has researched, lectured and written on aspects of Auckland's human history for 40 years. Gordon Maitland is Curator, Pictorial Collections, Auckland War Memorial Museum, and has a particular interest is the early appearance and the changing landscape of Auckland documented by photographs, paintings and sketches.
- Author(s)Bruce W. Hayward,Gordon Maitland,Graeme Murdoch
- PublisherAuckland University Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2011
- SubjectNatural History: General
- Place of PublicationAuckland
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintAuckland University Press
- Content NoteColour illlustrations
- Weight1060 g
- Width220 mm
- Height270 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsWith flaps
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.