All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $73.19
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $83.55
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $15.45
- AU $21.58Trending at AU $24.17
- AU $11.52Trending at AU $14.32
- AU $11.88Trending at AU $15.40
- AU $23.64Trending at AU $26.68
About this product
- Description<b>The Everyman's Library edition of this classic account of an epic physical and spiritual journey across the outback by the only Australian writer to win the Nobel Prize has a full-cloth, quality hardcover binding with a silk ribbon marker, and includes a chrology and an introduction by Nicholas Shakespeare.</b> The character of Johann Voss is based on an actual nineteenth-century explorer, Ludwig Leichhardt, who attempted to cross the entire continent of Australia from east to west in 1848 but disappeared in the attempt. With visionary intensity, Patrick White imagines Voss's last journey across the desert and the waterlogged plains of central Australia. But this magisterial vel is also a love story, for the explorer is inextricably bound up with an orphaned young woman whose inner life, like his own, is at odds with the world. In language poetic and passionate yet grounded in shrewd, often comic, social observations and naturalistic portrayals of farmers, convicts, employers, servants, and aborigines, White creates both a spellbinding adventure and a myth for our time.
- Author BiographyPATRICK WHITE (1912-1990), an Australian novelist and playwright, won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1973. His novel <i>The Vivisector</i> was shortlisted for the Lost Man Booker Prize in 2010.
- Author(s)Patrick White
- PublisherEveryman's Library
- Date of Publication02/10/2012
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintEveryman's Library
- Weight576 g
- Width137 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Introduction byNicholas Shakespeare
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.