All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionFollow one family's journey as they adventure from rural England to the wilds of Africa, meeting foxes, chickens, elephants and lions along the way. Brian Dawtrey shares his witty and informative memoirs of a life less ordinary; alongside a colourful cast of friends and acquaintances met on their travels. This charming family uproots itself from an idyllic life on Home Farm and sets sail across the seas for Tanganyika where a new beginning and, for Brian, a new job in Overseas Aid awaits them. What follows is an often hilarious account of indomitable spirit as Brian, Cicely, and the children tackle every obstacle thrown at them, with admirable good humour, by government, nature and an elephant's digestive system.
- Author BiographyBrian Dawtrey was born in 1928 to a motor engineering family in Coventry. He was evacuated after being injured in the Blitz and became a country lover - and a country-girl lover. He suffered from 'His heart rules his head' syndrome; which incidentally, so did Cicely and their three subsequent children. They married immediately following military service at the age of 20 years, went together to Agricultural College and became family farmers for fourteen years, before uprooting their family and adopting a hazardous beginning to twenty-five years of Overseas Aid work in Africa. Their immense love of nature led to Brian becoming an Honorary Wildlife Ranger for fourteen years and becoming a Chairman of the Wildlife Conservation Society of Zambia, whilst Cicely became the Education Officer of that Society. Cicely also raised many 'rescued' wild animals including a 'pet' cheetah, which travelled with her in her car in the market. Their children also married young, two of them in Africa. There are now four great grandchildren. Brian has been published widely in journals and periodicals for Societies, Zambia Government, World Bank and UK publishers.
- Author(s)Brian Dawtrey
- PublisherAustin Macauley Publishers
- Date of Publication19/12/2014
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAustin Macauley Publishers
- Weight386 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine16 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.