All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionWagner's Visions studies crucial influences on Wagner's dramatic style during the years before and just after the failed Dresden revolutionary uprising of 1849. Offering a detailed examination of Die Feen, Wagner's least-kwn complete opera, together with analysis of Der fliegende Hollander, Tannhauser, Lohengrin, and the four Ring dramas, Katherine Syer explores the inner experiences of Wagner's protagonists. Sources of particular political significance include the fables of the eighteenth-century Venetian playwright Carlo Gozzi, the Iphigenia operas of Christoph Willibald Gluck, and the legacy of the martyr Theodor Korner, whose poetry became the lingua franca of the revolutionary movement to liberate and unify Germany. Syer's book offers fresh insights into the historical context that gave rise to Wagner's dramatic art, revealing how his distinct and powerful imagery is intimately bound up with the crises and instabilities of his era. Katherine R. Syer is associate professor of musicology and theater at the University of Illiis at Urbana-Champaign.
- Author BiographyPh.D. 1999, University of Victoria, Canada.
- Author(s)Katherine Rae Syer
- PublisherBoydell & Brewer Ltd
- Date of Publication01/09/2014
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationRochester
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2014
- ImprintUniversity of Rochester Press
- Content Note3 black & white illustrations, 8 colour illustrations, 18 black & white line drawings
- Weight566 g
- Width162 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.