About this product
- DescriptionIn April 1969, Linda Moore-Lanning watched her husband, Lt. Michael Lee Lanning, board a Greyhound bus that would take him to a military flight scheduled to deposit him in Vietnam. As he boarded the bus, Lee told her, 'It's only for a year'. Moore-Lanning struggled to believe her husband's words. Waiting: One Wife's Year of the Vietnam War is the deeply personal account of Moore-Lanning's year as a waiting wife. The first-ever book from the perspective of a wife on the home front during the Vietnam War, Moore-Lanning's telling is both unflinching in its honesty and universal in its evocation of the price exacted from those who were left behind. During her 'waiting year', Moore-Lanning traveled far, in both distance and perspective, from the small West Texas town of Roby where she had grown up and met her husband. Through her eyes, we experience the agony of waiting for the next letter from Lee; the exhilaration of learning of her pregnancy; the frustration of dealing with friends and family members who didn't understand her struggles; and, the solace of companionship with Susan Hargrove, ather waiting wife. Because of her insistence that Lee give her an honest account of his experiences, Moore-Lanning also affords readers a gutwrenching view of Vietnam as narrated by an infantry commander in the field. Unfolding with the gripping narrative of a vel, Waiting will captivate general readers, while those interested in military history and home front perspectives - especially from the Vietnam War - will deeply appreciate this impressive addition to the literature.
- Author BiographyLINDA MOORE-LANNING lives in Phoenix, Arizona, with her husband, Lt. Col. (Ret.) Michael Lee Lanning.
- Author(s)Linda Moore-Lanning
- PublisherTexas A & M University Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2009
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleWilliams-Ford Texas A&M University Military History Series
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo.127
- Place of PublicationCollege Station
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas A & M University Press
- Content Note8 b&w photos, index
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.