All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWritten by the acclaimed historical velist Lee Jackson, this book recreates the sights and sounds of Dickens' London and provides a detailed itinerary for those keen to follow in the footsteps of 'The Inimitable Boz'. Each of the eight walks conjures up forgotten scenes of London life - stage-coaches racing through the Borough; herds of cattle driven through suburban streets to reach Smithfield market; the uproar of a hanging outside Newgate Gaol - together with directions to the most atmospheric and intriguing parts of the Victorian metropolis which have survived into the twenty-first century.
- Author BiographyLee Jackson is a writer and novelist, an acknowledged expert on the nineteenth century metropolis. He has written seven historical crime novels, set in Victorian London, published in the UK, Commonwealth and France. His popular website 'The Dictionary of Victorian London' (www.victorianlondon.org) attracts two thousand unique visitors a day, and is number one for 'Victorian London' on all major search engines. A massive encyclopaedia of Victorian books, journals, newspaper cuttings, maps, diary entries (et al.) the site is regularly cited by academics, genealogists, novelists and much enjoyed by the general public. Lee has lectured on Victorian topics for libraries and museums in Kensington & Chelsea, City of London and for the Museum of London, and Museum of London Docklands.
- Author(s)Lee Jackson
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication20/01/2012
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintShire Publications Ltd
- Content Note20 b/w; 130 col
- Weight302 g
- Width149 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.54
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.40
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.95
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $79.84
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.15
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.10
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.