All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.24Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.79Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.65Trending at AU $23.05
About this product
- DescriptionIn 2013, National Geographic Traveler chose St. Augustine as one of 20 must-see places and best trips in the world. But while tourists take in the fort and stroll the cobblestone streets, few visitors are aware of the remarkable history of this oldest continuously occupied European-established settlement in the continental UnitedStates. Walking St. Augustine fuses illustrated history and intimate handbook. The author, Elsbeth Buff Gordon, one of the city's most highly regarded historians, is also a resident and offers insider tips for exciting adventures. Gordon divides the colonial village into sections, all easily walked in a single day.She guides visitors through Plaza de la Constitucion, the oldest public park in America, and down the same avenues walked by the first Spanish settlers. She vividly retells landmark events, highlights areas of architectural or historic interest, delves into the genealogy of the multicultural families that have made St. Augustine home, and offers human stories and heritage recipes passed down through the centuries. With this vibrantly rendered, easy-to-use, and color-coded guide, visitors canwalk the seldom-visited south end of the city, which includes the earliest residential area with streets dating back to 1572, and stop in at the Flagler College complex, its more recent history illuminated by its architectural perfection. Gordon suggests visiting the Colonial Quarter Living History Museum, and for those looking to venturebeyond walking distance, the Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park, Anastasia Island, and Fort Mose, the nation's first legally free black settlement. Walking St. Augustine opens the doors to a spellbinding city, allowing visitors to discover five centuries of gripping history.
- Author BiographyElsbeth Buff Gordon is an architectural historian living in St. Augustine, USA. She is the author of Florida's Colonial Architectural Heritage and Heart and Soul of Florida: Sacred Sites and Historic Architecture.
- Author(s)Elsbeth Gordon
- PublisherUniversity Press of Florida
- Date of Publication30/03/2015
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Series TitleA Florida Quincentennial Book
- Place of PublicationFlorida
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Florida
- Content Note10 maps, 65 black & white and 126 colour illustrations
- Weight390 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.