All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionBlues writing from the 1950s to 2000s - jazz characters from a hidden world. A blues readers written by Samuel Charters to illustrate his recordings of famous and t so well kwn blues artistes. From Muddy Waters and Otis Spam in the 1960s to Zydeco and Good Rockin' Dopsie in the 1970s,Charters walks us from Houston Texas, alongside Lightnin' Hopkins and Thunder Smith, to Memphis, and Willie B, and on to Saint Louis. The book includes chapters from his writing on the poetry of the Blues and on Country music, which many fans of Charters' writing will be glad to see back in print. Charters belongs to a small group of writers about music whose work has transformed their subject - without his discoveries, insights and interventions, the history of the blues over the past fifty years would have been very different. His book, The Country Blues, opened up the previously unkwn world of pre-war blues. At the time of its first publication in 1959, few black singers were kwn of except for Bessie Smith and Louis Armstrong. In his new book, illustrated with his own photographs, rewritten sleeve tes are printed alongside new pieces on his recordings of rarely heard jazz artistes.
- Author BiographyNow in his seventies, Sam Charters is a jazz expert with over 11 books on jazz to his name. His 1959 book The Country Blues was the first serious examination of this seedbed of virtually all American music. He followed this book with The Legacy of the Blues and The Roots of the Blues (all Marion Boyars publications).
- Author(s)Samuel B. Charters
- PublisherMarion Boyars Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication07/12/2004
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMarion Boyars Publishers Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width132 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine21 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.