All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe guide offers 30 day walks based on the once strategically important castles that dominate the foothills of the Pyrenees. Routes from 16 centres, including Beziers, Minerve, Lastours, Foix, Roquefixade, Lordat, Montailloe, Puivert, Montsegur, Usson, Puilaurens, and Rennes. Each walk has as its focal point a castle or other location associated with Cathar history (mostly the 13th century). Summaries of the historical connections of each location with the Cathar period are given, and together these relate the story of the downfall of the Cathar Church, from the massacre in Beziers in 1209 to the siege at Montsegur in 1244, which ended with the burning alive of over 200 believers who refused to reunce their Cathar faith. Reprinted with updates in 2014.
- Author BiographyAlan Mattingly was director of the Ramblers' Association from 1974 to 1998. He has also held various other posts in the outdoor field, including that of chairman of the Council for National Parks. He is now based in a small town in the eastern Pyrenees which lies just below the 9,000ft Pic du Canigou. When not exploring the Pyrenees on foot, Alan writes and also teaches English.
- Author(s)Alan Mattingly
- PublisherCicerone Press
- Date of Publication23/06/2005
- SubjectWalking / Hiking & Activity Maps & Guides
- Place of PublicationCumbria
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCicerone Press
- Content NoteOver 60 colour photos and 20 maps
- Weight240 g
- Width116 mm
- Height172 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.