All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionThe first major English translation of a masterful seriocomic theatrical work by one of the most prominent writers of the Soviet epoch Walpurgis Night, by acclaimed Russian writer Venedikt Erofeev, is considered a classic in the playwright's homeland. Erofeev's dark and funny five-act satire of Soviet repression has been called the comic high-water mark of the Brezhnev era. Walpurgis Night dramatizes the outrageous trials of Lev Isakovich Gurevich, an alcoholic half-Jewish dissident poet confined by the state to a hospital for the insane. In Ward 3 -a microcosm of repressive Soviet society-Gurevich deploys his brilliant wit and ingenuity to bedevil his jailers, defend his fellow inmates, protest his incarceration, and generally create mayhem, which ultimately leads to a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions.
- Author BiographyVenedikt Erofeev (1938--1990) was prominent in the Russian postmodernism movement and a major literary figure in Soviet underground culture. His prose poem, Moscow to the End of the Line, has been translated into numerous languages. Marian Schwartz is a prizewinning translator of Russian fiction, history, biography, criticism, and fine art.
- Author(s)Venedikt Erofeev
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication08/07/2014
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Series TitleThe Margellos World Republic of Letters
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Weight181 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Translated byMarian Schwartz
- Format DetailsWith flaps
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.