All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.26
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.92Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionDrawing on family materials, historical records, and eyewitness accounts, this book shows the impact of war on individual women caught up in diverse and often treacherous situations. It relays stories of partisans in Holland, Italian women carrying guns and provisions in the face of hostile soldiers, and Kikuyu women involved in the Mau Mau insurrection in Kenya. A woman displaced from Silesia recalls fleeing with children across war-torn Germany, and women caught up in conflicts in Burma and in Rwanda share their tales. War's aftermath can be traumatic, as shown by a midwife on the Cambodian border who helps refugees to give birth and regain hope. Finally, British women on active service in Afghanistan and at NATO headquarters also speak.
- Author BiographyShirley Ardener is Senior Associate of Queen Elizabeth House, Oxford University. She is Founding Director of the Centre for Cross-Cultural Research on Women, now the International Gender Studies Centre, of which she remains an active honorary member, Fiona Armitage-Woodward is a scholar of Africa, particularly Swaziland. She has held various teaching and research posts and is a member of various societies and NGOs. Her most recent work includes Focus on Swaziland, 1991-94. Lidia Dina Sciama is former Director of the Centre for Cross-Cultural Research on Women, University of Oxford, where she is currently a Research Associate.
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication01/02/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Note20 illusrations, 2 tables
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byFiona Armitage-Woodward,Lidia Dina Sciama,Shirley Ardener
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.