All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCommerce into art. This title deals with a critical observer of American society. Andy Warhol (1928-1987) is recognized today as the most important exponent of the Pop Art movement. He overturned the traditional understanding of art and placed in its stead a concept that retracts the individuality of the artist. Warhol was a critical observer of American society, exposing his compatriots' consumerism in his paintings ( Campbell and Brillo series), as well as their fascination for sensational journalism. In 1963 Warhol founded his Factory in New York, literally a manufactory of ideas and work, which influenced film in the 1960s, published the influential magazine Interview in the late 1970s, and also produced Warhol's own artwork: Warhol conceived the idea, and a worker in his factory carried it out. The work remained (consciously) unsigned - a fact which nevertheless did thing to diminish Warhol's reputation. He once complained that rich New Yorkers would willingly hang his Electric Chain in their living rooms - as long as its colours co-ordinated with the wallpaper and draperies. About the series: Every book in TASCHEN's Basic Art Series features: a detailed chrological summary of the artist's life and work, covering the cultural and historical importance of the artist; approximately 100 color illustrations with explanatory captions; and, a concise biography.
- Author BiographyThe author: Klaus Honnef is honorary professor of photography theory at the Kassel Art Academy. He was one of the organizers of documenta 5 and documenta 6 in Kassel, and has been the curator of more than 500 exhibitions in Germany and abroad. He has written numerous books, including TASCHEN's Contemporary Art (1988), Andy Warhol (1989), and Pop Art (2004).
- Author(s)Klaus Honnef
- PublisherTaschen GmbH
- Date of Publication25/09/2015
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationCologne
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintTaschen GmbH
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width300 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine13 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.