All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
About this product
- DescriptionThrough their constant television broadcasts, mass video distributions, and printed publications, African American religious broadcasters have a seemingly ubiquitous presence in popular culture. They are on par with popular entertainers and athletes in the African American community as cultural icons even as they are criticized by others for taking advantage of the devout in order to subsidize their lavish lifestyles. For these reasons questions abound. Do televangelists proclaim the message of the gospel or a message of greed? Do they represent the authentic voice of the black church or the Christian Right in blackface? Does the phemen reflect orthodox Christianity or ethcentric Americaninity wrapped in religious language? Watch This! seeks to move beyond such polarizing debates by critically delving into the dominant messages and aesthetic styles of African American televangelists and evaluating their ethical implications.
- Author BiographyJonathan L. Walton is Assistant Professor of Religious Studies at the University of California, Riverside.
- Author(s)Jonathan Walton
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication01/02/2009
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Series TitleReligion, Race, & Ethnicity
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Note5 black & white illustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.