All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $115.99Trending at AU $139.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.00
- AU $68.62Trending at AU $90.31
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $34.88
- AU $37.74Trending at AU $39.42
- AU $17.48Trending at AU $19.81
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.15
About this product
- DescriptionMike Esau's well kwn and fondly remembered Steam into Wessex, first published in 1971, is regarded as a classic book of railway photography on the final years of steam on the main line from Waterloo to Weymouth in the 1960s. The photographs captured perfectly the atmosphere of the era, showing the w vanished infrastructure of the steam railway - stations, signalling as well as the human side of the railway staff at work and the passengers. The appeal of Mike Esau's photographs goes beyond just recording events as he is able to evoke a mood and atmosphere to recapture that time in the mind of the reader. This new book by Mike Esau is an outstanding collection of photographs from the steam era up to July 1967 and provides the perfect epitaph to a long vanished era. The pictures are a mixture of black and white and colour photographs which are arranged in order geographically from Waterloo to Weymouth and include some coverage of lines joining or associated with the main line, for example Pirbright Junction to Alton and Winchester Junction, Brockenhurst branch, Ringwood loop, Swanage and Portland to Easton branches etc. Strong's brewery at Romsey, so much a feature of the railway landscape of the time with signs that could be seen alongside the main line to Bournemouth such as at Micheldever and which have been revived by the Mid Hants Railway at Alton and Alresford, is revealed as an important part of the picture.
- Author(s)Mike Esau
- PublisherCrecy Publishing
- Date of Publication18/09/2014
- SubjectTrains & Railways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationAddlestone
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintIan Allan Publishing
- Content Notechiefly illustrations (black and white, and colour)
- Width210 mm
- Height297 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.