All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCelebrated for his dreamlike paintings of amorous aristocrats and melancholy actors, Antoine Watteau (1684 1721) also produced a number of captivating works with military subjects paintings and drawings early in his career. They were executed when France was engaged in the costly and ultimately disastrous War of the Spanish Succession (1701 1714), but they look past the turbulence of battle and the heroic deeds of generals and kings to depict the more prosaic aspects of war marches, halts, encampments, and bivouacs. They focus on the quiet moments between the fighting, outside of military discipline, when soldiers could rest, daydream, smoke pipes, and play cards. Although they owe a debt to seventeenth-century Dutch and Flemish precedents, they put forward a new, thoroughly modern vision of war in which the soldier s inner life, his experience of war, is brought to the fore.</p><i>Watteau s Soldiers </i>offers a new interpretation of Watteau s military works. There is a catalogue raisonne of all Watteau works related to military subjects, and a lively and accessible essay by Aaron Wile that explores Watteau s engagement with the cultural history of war, and the ordinary soldier s experience of it. This visually appealing new volume is a welcome, thought-provoking study of a little-kwn aspect of this well-loved artist s career.</p><b>Aaron Wile </b>is the Anne L. Poulet Curatorial Fellow, The Frick Collection, New York, 2014 2016.
- Author BiographyAaron Wile is the Anne L. Poulet Curatorial Fellow, The Frick Collection, New York, 2014-2016. He is a PhD candidate at Harvard University, where he is writing a dissertation on painting in France at the end of Louis XIV s reign.
- Author(s)Aaron Wile
- PublisherD Giles Ltd
- Date of Publication11/07/2016
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintD Giles Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight771 g
- Width218 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $95.49
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.