All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
About this product
- DescriptionJohn Taylor Gatto's Weapons of Mass Instruction, w available in paperback, focuses on mechanisms of traditional education that cripple imagination, discourage critical thinking, and create a false view of learning as a byproduct of rote-memorization drills. Gatto's earlier book, Dumbing Us Down, introduced the w-famous expression of the title into the common vernacular. Weapons of Mass Instruction adds ather chilling metaphor to the brief against conventional schooling. Gatto demonstrates that the harm school inflicts is rational and deliberate. The real function of pedagogy, he argues, is to render the common population manageable. To that end, young people must be conditioned to rely upon experts, to remain divided from natural alliances, and to accept disconnections from their own lived experiences. They must at all costs be discouraged from developing self-reliance and independence. Escaping this trap requires strategy Gatto calls open source learning which imposes artificial divisions between learning and life. Through this alternative approach, our children can avoid being indoctrinated-only then that can they achieve self-kwledge, judgment, and courage. John Taylor Gatto is an internationally rewned speaker who lectures widely on school reform. He taught for thirty years in public schools before resigning on the op-ed pages of The Wall Street Journal during the year he was named New York's official Teacher of the Year. On April 3, 2008, the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard credited Gatto with adding the expression dumbing us down to the school debate worldwide.
- Author BiographyJohn Gatto was a teacher in New York City's public schools for over 30 years and is a recipient of the New York State Teacher of the Year award. A much-sought after speaker on education throughout the United States, his other books include A Different Kind of Teacher (Berkeley Hills Books, 2001) and The Underground History of American Education (Oxford Village Press, 2000).
- Author(s)John Taylor Gatto
- PublisherNew Society Publishers
- Date of Publication08/04/2010
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationGabriola Island
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Society Publishers
- Weight371 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.