All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $36.19Trending at AU $38.17
About this product
- DescriptionEvening News Stars Often Fail Us. Can You Spot Their Mistakes? Longtime network newswriter Mervin Block doesn't just watch and hear evening newscasts; he listens. Block, who wrote for Walter Cronkite and other anchors at ABC, CBS and NBC, examines today's network anchors, their scripts and their journalism. Instead of writing about anchors' delivery, wardrobe or favorite desserts, he points out distortions, deceptions, discrepancies and abuses of broadcast writing style. Block shows how newscasters: * fudge facts, * tinker with time, * label stories exclusive that aren't, * utter grammatical grotesqueries, * present old news as breaking news, * exaggerate medical news, * hammer home hype, * boast about routine coverage. Block's sharp wit will leave you amused, fuming and shaking your head over today's network anchors. Reinforced with tips, tests and quizzes, Weighing Anchors gives anyone who watches the evening news the tools and insights to identify write from wrong.
- Author BiographyMervin Block is a broadcast writing coach and the author of Writing Broadcast News and Writing News for TV and Radio. He has worked as a staff writer for the CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite and the ABC Evening News with Frank Reynolds and as a freelancer at NBC News. Previously, he was a Chicago newspaper reporter and editor. He has written for Ed Bradley, Tom Brokaw, Walter Cronkite, Douglas Edwards, Dan Rather and Mike Wallace. As an adjunct professor at Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism, he taught broadcast newswriting for more than 30 years. In 2004, the Chicago Press Veterans Association selected him as Press Veteran of the Year. He lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Mervin Block
- PublisherMarion Street Press Inc.
- Date of Publication26/09/2012
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationOak Park
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMarion Street Press Inc.
- Content Note25 b/w photos
- Weight366 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.