All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis account charts the remarkable rise of communalism in the 60's and 70's, as thousands turned their backs on their assigned roles in order to build ather world together, outside the state and the market. Using memoir and flashbacks, oral history and archival sources, the extraordinary quest to find an alternative to the traditional nuclear family and the consumptive way of living is richly illuminated. With a focus on the San-Francisco bay area, an important aspect of social history is here made relevant to the current generation.
- Author BiographyIain Boal is an Irish social historian who is affiliated with the University of California-Berkeley and Birkbeck College-London. He is the author of The Green Machine and the coauthor of Retort's Afflicted Power. He lives in San Francisco. Janferie Stone is a teacher and writer whose essays have been published in Sustainable Feminisms. She lives in Mendocino, California. Michael Watts is a professor of geology and the chair of development studies at the University of California-Berkeley. He is the former director of the Institute of International Studies. He lives in Santa Cruz, California. Cal Winslow is the author of Labor's Civil War in California and the coauthor of Albion's Fatal Tree. He lives in Mendocino, California.
- PublisherPM Press
- Date of Publication22/03/2012
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationOakland
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPM Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byIain Boal,Janferie Stone,Michael Watts
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.39Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $74.58Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $22.13Trending at AU $22.74
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.