All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $120.44Trending at AU $139.18
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $38.02
- AU $17.48Trending at AU $19.74
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.71
About this product
- DescriptionDrawing on both primary and secondary sources, Western Warfare, 1775-1882 offers students an unrivaled account of civil and international conflicts, integrating both naval and land warfare. It covers military capability as well as conflict; social and political contexts as well as weaponry; and tactics and strategy. In addition to examining major conflicts such as the Napoleonic Wars, the Crimean War, the American Civil War, and the Wars of German Unification, the book redresses the imbalance of previous treatments by examining the heretofore neglected conflicts in Latin America as well as insurgency and counter-insurgency in Europe. In taking a global perspective, Jeremy Black gives a much more reliable assessment of what constitutes military capability, and thus challenges the techlogical determinism and linear conceptions of developments in military science that continue to characterize much of military history. As a result, this book reveals a much more complex dynamic, with the author going so far as to question the idea of 'modernity' itself.
- Author BiographyJeremy Black MBE is Professor of History at the University of Exeter and is one of the UK's leading military historians. He is Editor of the journal Archives, and a member of the Councils of the Royal Historical Society and the British Records Association. His recent publications include European Warfare, 1660-1815; The Cambridge Illustrated Atlas of Warfare, 1492-1792; and War and the World, 1450-2000.
- Author(s)Jeremy Black
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication24/07/2001
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Out-of-print date06/12/2011
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight338 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.