All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMeet Justin Campbell. He's a new MBA graduate who's landed a job with a strategy consultancy. His engagement team is on a mission: help HGS Inc., a specialty chemicals firm, define and execute a strategy for exploiting a textile techlogy the company developed. Justin and his team deploy state-of-the-art strategy tools to analyze the attractiveness of potential markets for the techlogy. But they soon realize the tools don't help them grapple with the human side of strategy--including political forces swirling within HGS. Everyone involved in the engagement is biased and insecure, brilliant and hardworking, selfish and lazy, loyal and dedicated. Justin and his cohorts aren't real --What I Didn't Learn in Business School is a business vel. But they're realistic: they're just like us. Their story reveals the limitations of strategy tools and demonstrates tactics for navigating the messy, human dynamics that can make or break a company's strategy efforts. This engaging book uses the power of story to present potent lessons for anyone seeking to excel at strategy management. It's a compelling read--whether you're an MBA grad struggling to apply what you learned or in the fray and eager to see what MBAs get wrong when they land in the real world.
- Author BiographyJay Barney is a professor of management at the Ohio State University's Fisher College of Business. He has published numerous articles in strategy and management journals, as well as five bestselling textbooks on strategy. Trish Clifford is formerly the Director of Global Strategy Learning at McKinsey & Company, and now spends her time in private practice working with mid- and upper-level managers in a variety of companies to strengthen strategic capabilities through a tailored mix of consulting, workshops, experiential learning, asynchronous and classroom learning. She works throughout the US, Asia, and Europe.
- Author(s)Jay B. Barney,Trish Gorman Clifford
- PublisherHarvard Business Review Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2010
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard Business Review Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.03Trending at AU $32.48
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.10
- AU $43.72Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.14
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $42.71Trending at AU $48.94
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.