All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b>A beginner's guide and a bible for one of the greatest social invations of modern times: the discipline of management.</b> Whether you're new to the field or a seasoned executive, this book will give you a firm grasp on what it takes to make an organization perform. It presents the basic principles of management simply, but t simplistically. Why did an eBay succeed where a Webvan did t? Why do you need <i>both </i>a business model <i>and </i>a strategy? Why is it impossible to manage without the right performance measures, and do yours pass the test? <i>What Management Is </i>is both a beginner's guide and a bible for one of the greatest social invations of modern times: the discipline of management. Joan Magretta, a former top editor at the <i>Harvard Business Review, </i>distills the wisdom of a bewildering sea of books and articles into one simple, clear volume, explaining both the logic of successful organizations and how that logic is embodied in practice. Magretta makes rich use of examples-- contemporary and historical--to bring to life management's High Concepts: value creation, business models, competitive strategy, and organizational design. She devotes equal attention to the often unwritten rules of execution that characterize the best-performing organizations. Throughout she shows how the principles of management that work in for-profit businesses can--and must--be applied to nprofits as well. Most management books preach a single formula or a single fad. This one roams kwledgeably over the best that has been thought and written with a practical eye for what matters in real organizations. Not since Peter Drucker's great work of the 1950s and 1960s has there been a comparable effort to present the work of management as a coherent whole, to take stock of the current state of play, and to write about it thoughtfully for readers of all backgrounds. Newcomers will find the basics demystified. More experienced readers will recognize a store of useful wisdom and a framework for improving their own performance. This is the big-picture management book for our times. It defines a common standard of managerial literacy that will help all of us lead more productive lives, whether we aspire to be managers or t.
- Author(s)Joan Magretta
- PublisherFree Press
- Date of Publication25/12/2012
- SubjectCareers & Success
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFree Press
- Weight340 g
- Width142 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $41.91Trending at AU $52.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.