All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $31.45Trending at AU $32.35
- AU $56.25Trending at AU $57.83
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $168.83
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $68.01Trending at AU $77.08
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.00
- AU $12.86Trending at AU $16.85
About this product
- DescriptionRehana Rossouw's unique voice gives life and drama to this family saga. It is the story of the Fourie family, residents of Haver Park in the Cape Flats during the height of the struggle era. The main characters include Magda, the churchgoing mother, who doesn't see what's going on in front of her; Neville, the concerned and loving but t always effectual father; Suzette, the oldest daughter, who is bound and determined to get away and make a better life for herself via a career in modelling; Nicky, the smart and sensitive middle child, who proves herself capable of making unselfish choices; and Anthony, the naive and doomed son, who gets caught up with a gang and meets a sad end. In What Will People Say the setting is everything, and the author doesn't stint on the details of the world her characters inhabit. Readers who have never set foot in Haver Park will feel they are there, and those who kw the place will d in recognition of the sensory details the author loads into her writing. Nor does the author shy away from the difficult issues faced by those living in this marginalised and disadvantaged community, which came into being as a result of the forced removals from Cape Town. How these issues affect the members of a particular family and their relationships with one ather are the focus of the author's close-up lens. Generously spiced with Cape Flats slang; lots of vivid and gritty description that give an authentic feel to the story; plenty of plot - the writer draws us in and makes us curious about what will happen next; and very human characters we come to care about.
- Author BiographyRehana Rossouw was born and rooted in Cape Town, but is currently in self-imposed exile in Johannesburg. She has been a journalist for three decades and has also taught journalism and creative writing. She has a Masters in creative writing from Wits University.
- Author(s)Rehana Rossouw
- PublisherJacana Media (Pty) Ltd
- Date of Publication01/02/2015
- SubjectRomance & Sagas
- Place of PublicationJohannesburg
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- ImprintJacana Media (Pty) Ltd
- Weight485 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.