All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDesigned for use by parents, teachers and home educators, this second volume in the Core Kwledge UK series provides Year 2 children with the fundamentals they need to prepare them for a lifetime of learning. It sets out the elements a parent or educator should look for in a good Year 2 curriculum and introduces activities that can help a child to take the next steps in learning to read and write. Filled with age-appropriate questions that stimulate thinking, What Your Year 2 Child Needs to Kw also includes: Familiar and favourite poems - read and recite together from Spike Milligan, Eloise Greenfield, Jack Prelutsky, Robert Louis Stevenson, Edward Lear and more, all beautifully illustrated. Fairy tales, fables and other beloved stories - read aloud from Aesop's Fables, The House at Pooh Corner, The Saga of Noggin the Nog and many more, including multicultural folktales from African, American, Dutch, German, Japanese and Jewish traditions. Familiar sayings - talk about traditional phrases that impart wisdom, such as 'You can't judge a book by its cover' and 'Many hands make light work'. History and geography - an introduction to our world, including ancient Egypt, British history from the Romans in Britain to 1066 and the geography of the British Isles and rthern Europe, complete with original maps and beautiful photos. Visual arts - engaging activities go hand-in-hand with learning about colour, shape, texture, portraiture and murals from old masters and modern artists such as Hogarth, Rembrandt, Picasso and Hockney. Music - many musical experiences for parents and children to participate in, along with songs to sing and dance to. Mathematics - interactive and engaging exposure to mathematical concepts and calculations that provide a springboard to later mastery. Science - activities that let children observe, experience and get their hands dirty while exploring the wonders of nature and learning about the work of important scientists.
- Author BiographyE.D. Hirsch, Jr. is a professor at the University of Virginia and the author of The Schools We Need and the bestselling Cultural Literacy and The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy. He and his wife, Polly, live in Charlottesville, Virginia, where they raised their three children.
- Author(s)E. D. Hirsch
- Date of Publication17/08/2012
- SubjectSchool Textbooks & Study Guides: Literature, Arts & Humanities
- Series TitleCore Knowledge UK
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note289 colour illustrations
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byRobert Whelan,Tanya Lubicz-Nawrocka
- Illustrator(s)Mark Otton,Mark Beech
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $23.73Trending at AU $24.71
- AU $125.98Trending at AU $130.02
- AU $168.00Trending at AU $183.03
- AU $64.99Trending at AU $74.58
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $12.77
- AU $34.18Trending at AU $36.92
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $19.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.