All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis primer for teachers (prospective and practicing) asks readers to question the historical present and their relation to it, and in so doing, to construct their own understandings of what it means to teach, to study, to become educated in the present moment. Curriculum theory is the scholarly effort - inspired by theory in the humanities, arts and interpretive social sciences - to understand the curriculum, defined here as complicated conversation. Rather than the formulation of objectives to be evaluated by (especially standardized) tests, curriculum is communication informed by academic kwledge, and it is characterized by educational experience. Pinar recasts school reform as school deform in which educational institutions devolve into cram schools preparing for standardized exams, and traces the history of this catastrophe starting in 1950s. Changes in the Second Edition: Introduces Pinar's formulation of allegories-of-the-present - a concept in which subjectivity, history, and society become articulated through the teacher's participation in the complicated conversation that is the curriculum; features a new chapter on Weimar Germany (as an allegory of the present); includes new chapters on the future, and on the promises and risks of techlogy.
- Author BiographyWilliam F. Pinar is Professor and Canada Research Chair at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
- Author(s)William F. Pinar
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication08/09/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleStudies in Curriculum Theory Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.