All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $92.76
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.73
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.60
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $51.92
- AU $78.77Trending at AU $115.92
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.71
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is a superhero? Everyone kws, right? And yet everyone seems to have a different answer. If asked, most people will say that a superhero is a fictional character with superhuman abilities or powers - and one who uses those abilities for the common good. Some might add that superheroes wear costumes. But this is only part of the story. In this invative collection of essays, rewned psychologist Robin Rosenberg and comics scholar Peter Coogan explore the question What is a superhero? from a variety of viewpoints. What is the role of power and superpower? Heroism? The environment? How is the superhero a metaphor? Perhaps most intriguing, what are supervillains and why do we need them? These and many other fascinating topics are taken up in this exciting new book. With essays from scholars and commentary by the writers and creators themselves, including exclusive material from Stan Lee, Danny Fingeroth, and their peers, What is a Superhero? is the first volume to provide a true synthesis and reflection of the state of superheroes in our culture today.
- Author BiographyRobin S. Rosenberg is a clinical psychologist. In addition to running a private practice, she writes about superheroes and the psychological phenomena their stories reveal. She is editor of Psychology of Superheroes and Our Superheroes, Ourselves. Peter Coogan is director of the Institute for Comics Studies, co-founder and co-chair of the Comics Arts Conference, and an instructor at Washington University in St. Louis. He holds a Ph.D. in American Studies, and authored Superhero: The Secret Origin of the Superhero a monograph on the development, history, and functioning o the superhero genre. He is a nationally known commentator on comics and superheroes, is a semi-regular pundit on the Major Spoiler Podcast, and is co-editor of this volume.
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication19/09/2013
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Weight400 g
- Width162 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byRobin S. Rosenberg
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.