Whatever You Do, Don't Run: My Adventures as a Botswana Safari Guide by Peter Allison (Paperback, 2007)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $32.99+ AU $1.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by booksourcesonlineaustralia
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $8.99+ postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by rustydaewoo
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.39Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $22.13Trending at AU $22.74
- AU $35.52Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.64Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
About this product
- DescriptionPeter Allison was only nineteen when he left Australia for Africa, thinking he might travel around and see a bit of the country before going home to a 'proper job'. But Africa worked its magic, and Peter ended up falling, quickly and completely, in love with the country and its wildlife. Landing in a game reserve in the wildlife-rich Okavango Delta, he became a safari guide and, some twelve years later, his short holiday in Africa isn't over yet. Whatever You Do, Don't Run is his guide's-eye view of living in the bush, confronting the world's fiercest animals and, most challenging of all, managing herds of gaping tourists. Like the young woman who rejected the recommended safari-friendly khaki to wear a more 'fashionable' hot pink ensemble, or the Japanese tourist who requested a repeat performance of Allison's being charged by a lion so he could videotape it. Peter Allison - like an affable, younger David Attenborough or a slightly more laid-back Steve Irwin - really kws his wildlife. He's had some extraordinary, once-in-a-lifetime experiences. From close encounters with hungry lions, cranky elephants and over-protective honey badgers, there's t much in the African bush that Peter hasn't seen, done or been chased by. His affection for these wild and dangerous animals and his fascination with, and respect for, their often extraordinary behaviour is completely genuine, deep and infectious. Reading Whatever You Do, Don't Run is like sitting around a campfire late at night and listening to him talking - his stories of the animals and the bush are gentle, warm, funny and utterly engaging.
- Author BiographyPeter Allison was born in Sydney, Australia. He trained to be a safari guide in the early 1990s and soon thereafter was hired by southern Africa's largest operator to train all of their safari experts. Safaris he has led have been featured in magazines such as Vogue and Conde Nast Traveler (which described him as 'silver-tongued'). He has assisted National Geographic photographers, and has appeared on television shows such as Jack Hannah's Animal Adventures. He has extensive public-speaking experience, and is active with the Athena Foundation, a nonprofit conservation group. He currently divides his time between Australia, California, and Botswana.
- Author(s)Peter Allison
- PublisherAllen & Unwin
- Date of Publication01/08/2007
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationSydney
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2007
- ImprintAllen & Unwin
- Weight258 g
- Width130 mm
- Height195 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Explore Buying Guides
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.