All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor the last twenty years, John Corvi has traversed the US responding to moral and religious arguments against same-sex relationships. In this timely book, he shares that experience - addressing the standard objections to homosexuality and offering insight into the culture wars more generally. Is homosexuality unnatural? Does the Bible condemn it? Are people born gay (and should it matter either way)? Corvi approaches such questions with precision, sensitivity, and good humor. In the process, he makes a fresh case for moral engagement, forcefully rejecting the idea that morality is a 'private matter'. This book appears at a time when same-sex marriage is being hotly debated across the U.S. Many people object to such marriage on the grounds that same-sex relationships are immoral, or at least, that they do t deserve the same social recognition as heterosexual relationships. Unfortunately, the traditional rhetoric of gay-rights advocates - which emphasizes privacy and tolerance - fails to meet this objection. Legally speaking, when it comes to marriage, 'tolerance' might be eugh, Corvi concedes, but socially speaking, marriage requires more. Marriage is more than just a relationship between two individuals, recognized by the state. It is also a relationship between those individuals and a larger community. The fight for same-sex marriage, ultimately, is a fight for full inclusion in the moral fabric. What is needed is a positive case for moral approval - which is what Corvi unabashedly offers here. Corvi blends a philosopher's precision with a light touch that is full of humanity and wit. This volume captures the voice of one of the most rational participants in a national debate ted for generating more heat than light.
- Author BiographyJohn Corvino is Associate Professor of Philosophy at Wayne State University. A frequent speaker on LGBT issues, he has presented his popular talk What's Morally Wrong with Homosexuality? and related programs at over 200 universities and other venues. As The Gay Moralist he has been a regular columnist for 365gay.com, Pridesource.com, and the Independent Gay Forum. John has also been a guest on MSNBC's Scarborough Country and on numerous other radio programs. An award-winning teacher, he is also the recipient of a 2004 Spirit of Detroit Award from the Detroit City Council for his work on behalf of LGBT rights.
- Author(s)John Corvino
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication04/04/2013
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Series TitlePhilosophy in Action
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Weight242 g
- Width134 mm
- Height180 mm
- Spine18 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $21.72
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $33.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.