All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $21.88Trending at AU $34.44
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $20.37Trending at AU $22.08
About this product
- DescriptionIn between the search for the Poles, the climbing of Everest and the Space Race, the exploration of the Sahara - a huge swathe of terrain, the size of India - by motor car is one of the untold chapters in the story of twentieth-century exploration. Many people have become fascinated by this area since falling in love with the scenery of 'The English Patient'.
- Author BiographyAndrew Goudie was at the School of Geography, Oxford University, from 1970 to 2003, became Fellow of Hertford College in 1976, and was appointed Professor of Geography and Head of Department in 1984. In October 2003 he became Master of St Cross College, Oxford. He has been an Honorary Secretary and Vice President of the Royal Geographical Society, Executive Secretary and Chairman of the British Geomorphological Research Group, a member of the Council of the Institute of British Geographers, and President of the Geographical Association. He has also been President of the International Association of Geomorphologists. In 1991 he was awarded the Founders' Medal of the Royal Geographical Society and the Mungo Park medal by the Royal Scottish Geographical Society. In 2002 he received a medal from the Royal Academy of Belgium and was awarded a DSc by Oxford. In 2007 he was awarded the Geological Society of America's Farouk El-Baz Award for Desert Research. His main research interests include the geomorphology of deserts, climatic change, environmental archaeology and the impact of humans on the environment. He has worked extensively in southern Africa (South Africa, Botswana, Swaziland and Namibia) and the Middle East, including Oman, Jordan, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates, and in the USA. In 2008 he published 'Wheels Across the Desert - Exploration of the Libyan Desert by Motorcar 1916-1942', which was also produced by Silphium Books.
- Author(s)Andrew S. Goudie
- PublisherSociety for Libyan Studies
- Date of Publication09/12/2008
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSilphium Press
- Content Note55 figs, 12 maps
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.