All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.56
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.45
About this product
- DescriptionRemember a time when boxing ruled the sporting world? When the great and the good of the fight game were the biggest stars of their day, and when a major bout was a global event that captivated and enthralled people on almost every continent - when the main event was the event? When Boxing Was Boxing is a photographic celebration of the sport's heyday. It's a beautifully illustrated tribute to an age when the ble art was a little more dignified, and a little less preoccupied with money and the politics of sport. It's about a time when there weren't quite so many governing bodies, r multiple world 'champions' viewed only by tiny audiences on pay-per-view channels; a time when boxing was once regarded as the pinnacle of professional sporting endeavour, and t just a lucrative arm of the leisure and entertainment business. This is whitewash of boxing history. As the chapters show, the toughest game has an often murky past. But in its portrayal of the great pugilists and their finest bouts, the famous arenas and the colourful characters, When Boxing Was Boxing brings to vivid life the atmosphere, raw spectacle and sheer excitement of this most brutal yet compelling of sporting theatre. With special features on the sport's grassroots, its particular customs, culture and curiosities, and its more lighthearted moments, this is an affectionate and wonderfully stalgic look at a time when boxing really was boxing.
- Author BiographyAdam Powley is a journalist and writer behind more than 15 books. He is the author of the When Football Was Football volumes on the World Cup and Tottenham Hotspur, When Cricket Was Cricket. and is the co-author of the acclaimed 61: The Spurs Double, The Boys From White Hart Lane and the bestselling Spurs Miscellany. He was also a major contributor to The Spurs Opus, When Saturday Comes: The half-decent football book, and Football: The Ultimate Guide. He has also reported and written for the Sunday Mirror, The Guardian, and Time Out.
- Author(s)Adam Powley
- PublisherHaynes Publishing Group
- Date of Publication01/09/2011
- SubjectBoxing & Combat Sports
- Place of PublicationSomerset
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJ H Haynes & Co Ltd
- Content Note220 illustrations
- Weight1043 g
- Width250 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.