Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
About this product
- DescriptionBeginning with a vivid account of the blitz in Wales, and ending with more than fifty personal stories from Welsh people who were touched by the war both at home and abroad, John O'Sullivan's book is a portrait of the principality between 1939 and 1945. He has collected the accounts of those in action overseas and on the Home Front during more than forty years as a journalist in South Wales. This book brings together many remarkable wartime accounts of Welsh men and women, including the stories of Arthur Felix Williams from Barry who led a guerrilla army in Burma; the Catholic priest from Newport who helped run the Vatican escape line and the football, rugby and bricket heroes of the Cardiff-based Sportsmen's Battalion who spend three years in Japanese prisoner-of-war camps. Also featured here are a wealth of historic images conveying the massive impact the Second World War had on both the landscape of Wales and its people. John O'Sullivan's fascinating picture of life in Wales during the war years will be essential reading for all those who lived through the conflict, and a valuable historical resource for those who want to find out what happened 'When Wales Went to War'.
- Author BiographyJohn O'Sullivan has been a journalist in South wales for 47 years. As a reporter for the Daily Mail in the 1960s he covered the Aberfan disaster and has worked for the South Wales Echo and the Western Mail. He lives in Cardiff and is still working as a freelance journalist and historian.
- Author(s)John O'Sullivan
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication14/10/2004
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleIn Old Photographs
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSutton Publishing Ltd
- Content Note100 b&w illustrations
- Weight420 g
- Width172 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.