When Weather Matters: Science and Services to Meet Critical Societal Needs by Division on Earth and Life Studies, Committee on Progress and Priorities of U.S. Weather Research and Research-to-Operations Activities, National Research Council, Board on Atmospheric Sciences & Climate (Paperback, 2010)
All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.09
- AU $32.48Trending at AU $38.03
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.47
- AU $11.66Trending at AU $14.91
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.57
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.95
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.82
About this product
- DescriptionThe past 15 years have seen marked progress in observing, understanding, and predicting weather. At the same time, the United States has failed to match or surpass progress in operational numerical weather prediction achieved by other nations and failed to realize its prediction potential; as a result, the nation is t mitigating weather impacts to the extent possible. This book represents a sense of the weather community as guided by the discussions of a Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate community workshop held in summer 2009. The book puts forth the committee's judgment on the most pressing high level, weather-focused research challenges and research to operations needs, and makes corresponding recommendations. The book addresses issues including observations, global n-hydrostatic coupled modeling, data assimilation, probabilistic forecasting, and quantitative precipitation and hydrologic forecasting. The book also identifies three important, emerging issues--predictions of very high impact weather, urban meteorology, and renewable energy development--t recognized or emphasized in previous studies. Cutting across all of these challenges is a set of socioecomic issues, whose importance and emphasis--while increasing--has been undervalued and underemphasized in the past and warrants greater recognition and priority today.
- Author(s)Board on Atmospheric Sciences & Climate,Committee on Progress and Priorities of U.S. Weather Research and Research-to-Operations Activities,Division on Earth and Life Studies,National Research Council
- PublisherNational Academies Press
- Date of Publication09/11/2010
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNational Academies Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine0 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.