All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn esteemed ecomist warns that Western societies' ecomic expectations for the future are about to collide with reality The Western world has experienced extraordinary ecomic progress throughout the last six decades, a prosperous period so extended that continuous ecomic growth has come to seem rmal. But such an era of continuously rising living standards is a historical amaly, ecomist Stephen D. King warns, and the current stagnation of Western ecomies threatens to reach crisis proportions in the t-so-distant future. Praised for the dose of realism he provided in his book Losing Control, King follows up in this volume with a plain-spoken assessment of where the West stands today. It's t just the end of an age of affluence, he shows. We have made promises to ourselves that are achievable only through ongoing ecomic expansion. The future benefits we expect-pensions, healthcare, and social security, for example-may be larger than tomorrow's resources. And if we reach that point, which promises will be broken and who will lose out? The lessons of history offer compelling evidence that political and social upheaval are often born of ecomic stagnation. King addresses these lessons with a multifaceted plan that involves painful-but necessary-steps toward a stable and just ecomic future.
- Author BiographyStephen D. King is Group Chief Economist and Global Head of Economics and Asset Allocation research at HSBC. He lives in London.
- Author(s)Stephen D. King
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication04/03/2014
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Weight318 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $26.06Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $37.10Trending at AU $43.40
- AU $29.31Trending at AU $31.81
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.39
- AU $19.05Trending at AU $23.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.