All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCompared with Iraq, Afghanistan and Kosovo, the recent western intervention in Sierra Leone has been largely forgotten. When the State Fails rectifies this, providing a comprehensive and critical analysis of the intervention. The civil war in Sierra Leone began in 1991 and was declared officially over in 2002 after UK, UN and regional African military intervention. Some claimed it as a case of successful humanitarian intervention. The authors in this collection provide an informed analysis of the impact of the intervention on democracy, development and society in Sierra Leone. The authors take a particularly critical view of the imposition of neoliberalism after the conflict. As NATO intervention in Libya shows the continued use of external force in internal conflicts, When the State Fails is a timely book for all students and scholars interested in Africa and the question of 'humanitarian intervention'.
- Author BiographyTunde Zack-Williams is Emeritus Professor of Sociology at the University of Central Lancashire. He was President of the UK African Studies Association from 2006 to 2008. He is the author of Tributors, Supporters and Merchant Capital: Mining and Underdevelopment in Sierra Leone (1995), The Quest for Sustainable Peace: The 2007 Sierra Leone Elections (2008), co-author of Structural Adjustment: Theory, Practice and Impacts (2000), co-editor of Africa in Crisis: New Challenges and Possibilities (Pluto, 2002) and African Mosaic: Political, Social, Economic and Technological Development in the New Millenium (2009). He is a handling editor of the Review of African Political Economy and a member of the Africa Panel of the British Academy.
- PublisherPluto Press
- Date of Publication05/12/2011
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPluto Press
- Content Note6 figures, 1 map
- Weight363 g
- Width135 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byTunde Zack-Williams
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $35.34Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.92
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.