All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.16
- AU $26.15Trending at AU $26.53
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.50
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.93
About this product
- DescriptionDo you need some guidance in your genealogy search? Save time and avoid pitfalls in your research. This book provides simple, -nsense instructions to help you get started. Many FREE research links included. Where Do I Start is filled with Hints and Tips to begin your family genealogy research and acquire Genealogy information. In this book, you will find, many on-line resources, how to do court house research, where to find birth, death, social security records free on-line, and 81 questions to ask when interviewing elderly relatives. The Tips on How to break down the proverbial 'Brick Wall' and Free ON-LINE resources will help even the experienced genealogists. Read Where Do I Start? today and enjoy the fascinating journey tracing your ancestors past! Review by Reader.... Donna shares how she got bitten by the genealogy bug. She imparts her amazement at how much can be learned about the history of this country as well as one's own family by researching one's family tree. And what's more amazing is that she was able to go back with her family to the 1600s in England, over 400 years. The author has a website where she is asked many how to questions by the participants. She advises one to use a computer for their research and seems to describe the use of genealogy software as an easy task and quite intuitive. She identifies many excellent genealogy websites for the new user, some of which I hadn't kwn about despite my history of 20 years of searching for my family tree, much of it on the internet. The author provides sample interview questions for eliciting past stories from family elders. She gives quite a few tips on how to organize your materials to make the best use of your time. She includes everything a newby to the genealogy research field will need to get started and more. And for those with more experience, she includes tips on how to break down the brick walls that researchers inevitably encounter and she advises readers to challenge the assumptions in family lore and stories when the brick wall is hit. She also identifies many of the pitfalls inherent in requested records. And if you've ever gone to a courthouse to search without preparing yourself for the kinds of questions you'll need to ask, you will appreciate the author's advice about getting ready first. You'll save yourself time in the long run. I would have saved myself much time, had I read this author's book before doing research. She removed the stigma or hesitation about inquiring in the courthouse if there is someone in the community you could hire to do further research for you. It's very hard to discover what data lies where when you first begin genealogy research. This author is teaching by experience that you won't have to go through yourself if you have this book and follow her advice. The list of genealogy websites at the end of the book is labeled Genealogy Websites for Beginners. No so. Even an experienced genealogist like me found some new websites I hadn't discovered yet.
- Author BiographyDonna R. Causey, native of Alabama, was a teacher in the public school system for twenty years. When she retired, Donna found time to focus on her lifetime passion for historical writing. She developed the website www.alabamapioneers.com and has authored numerous genealogy books. Ribbon of love is the first in her historical fiction series, Tapestry of Love, where she uses actual characters, facts, dates and places to create a story about life as it might have happened in colonial Virginia.
- Author(s)Donna R Causey
- PublisherDonway Publishing
- Date of Publication03/06/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDonway Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight104 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine4 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.