All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
About this product
- DescriptionDespite being only dots in a vast Pacific, Tahiti and its islands have managed to arouse unusual levels of admiration and controversy in equal degrees from the outset. Amid the arguments of culture, colonialism, sex and religion that have swirled around it, one thing is certain. Tahiti is beautiful ...because as Voltaire observed, if the French and the British could for once agree on something it was necessarily true. Yet even while the likes of Matisse would arrive to declare Tahiti is beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, it is less agreed just what kind of perfection this entails and what it might signify for perceptions of our world and beyond it. Is this symbolically the place of Bougainville's Venus or Gauguin's Moon goddess or the Christian's, t to say the modern and secular tourist's, paradise and why? What are the spirits real or imagined of this region with its deserted marae? What if any is the dark side? This essay is an intuitive, visceral, wholly personal response to visiting Tahiti and a more philosophical one to the images, true and false, with which especially the artist Gauguin fixed Tahiti in the public imagination. It is also an attempt within a short space to render a personal and original response to the questions of his most famous work: Where do we come from, What are we for, Where are we going?.
- Author BiographyRollan McCleary is of dual Irish and Australian nationalities, a doctor of religious studies from Queensland University, Brisbane. He has been published in chiefly religion though he has also written poetry and drama. His first main publication was the critical success The Expansion of God (1982) on the relations of Christianity and Asian cultures. His A Special Illumination (2004) on gay spiritualities caused some controversy internationally.
- Author(s)Rollan McCleary
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication21/05/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight336 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.