All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $20.42Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $11.95
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.01
- AU $56.57Trending at AU $60.36
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $15.93
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $23.74
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $22.87
About this product
- DescriptionIncisive, eerie, sensual, and threatening. <i>The Village Voice</i> The linked stories in Kate Walbert s debut collection <i>Where She Went</i> examine the very contemporary predicament of a family without geographic roots. The first half of the book chronicles the life of Marion Clark, a company wife who repeatedly packs the household and accompanies her husband around the globe with a melancholy view before her of what seemed like endless houses with endless garages and endless kitchen windows. In the stories that follow, her adult daughter Rebecca continues the family legacy of wandering, traveling farther and farther afield, seeking to fulfill her mother s thwarted aspirations. But Rebecca s world is one viewed with a slightly off-kilter eye, one that invokes Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel, Mohammed s faithful followers at Topkapi Palace, as well as the landscapes of Italy and Jamaica, Istanbul, and Paris. This mother and daughter, each uniquely of her own generation, remain locked, firmly, in longing Marion with little free will, and Rebecca with an excess of free spirit. From a patchwork of communication that unfolds between Marion and Rebecca, Walbert creates a narrative that is both fractured and lyrical. <i>Where She Went</i> is an epic for out times an odyssey that takes home on the road.
- Author Biography<b>Kate Walbert</b>'s fiction and articles have appeared in numerous publications, including the <b>Paris Review, Doubletake, Fiction, the Antioch Review, Ms.</b>, and the <b>New York Times</b>. She currently lives in New York City and Connecticut, where she teaches writing at Yale University.
- Author(s)Kate Walbert
- PublisherPenguin Books
- Date of Publication01/12/1999
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenguin Books
- Weight136 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.