Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is the proper relationship of religion to power? In this collection of essays, a group of interdisciplinary scholars address that question, building on the scholarship of the late Dr. Jean Bethke Elshtain. The first section of this book provides the reader with three previously unpublished essays by Elshtain on the subject of political sovereignty, followed by an interview with the ted ethicist and political theorist. Dr. Elshtain questions the nature of sovereignty in a world where some have elevated the state and the self above the authority of God himself. In the second section of the book, Sovereignty through the Ages , four scholars explore some of the key questions raised by Dr. Elshtain's work on Just War, resistance to tyranny, political liberalism, and modernity, questioning the ways in which sovereignty may be conceived to reinforce the limitations of human societies and yet seek the greater good. In the third section of the book, entitled Sovereignty in Context , three essays extend her analysis of sovereignty to different contexts - Latin America, the Islamic world, and the international system as a whole, all the while demonstrating the importance of how religious interpretation contributes to our understanding of political power.
- Author BiographyJohn H. A. Dyck is assistant professor of political studies at Trinity Western University and senior research fellow in the Religion, Culture, and Conflict Research Group. Paul S. Rowe is associate professor of political and international studies at Trinity Western University and senior research fellow in the Religion, Culture, and Conflict Research Group. Jens Zimmermann is Canada Research Chair in Interpretation, Religion, and Culture and professor of English and philosophy at Trinity Western University as well as senior research fellow in the Religion, Culture, and Conflict Research Group.
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication17/09/2015
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Weight494 g
- Width160 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byJens Zimmermann,John H. A. Dyck,Paul Rowe
- Foreword byEric Elshtain
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.