All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAnything could happen when we start to talk. Nothing will happen if we don't. That alone makes the way of dialogue a journey worth taking. -from the Epilogue Think of an issue that makes your blood boil. Now imagine lunch with a friend who is just as passionate about it-on the other side. How can the two of you even broach the issue, let alone hear each other with curiosity and compassion? The answer begins long before the lunch does, by learning to engage dialogue as a habit of the heart-an inner transformation that the ancient practices of Christian spirituality can address. This highly readable and timely guide to restoring dialogue shows you how to cultivate this transformation while preparing you to approach your adversaries with curiosity, civility and compassion. With dialogue expert John Backman leading the way, you will: * Examine the obstacles that keep you from dialogue: black-and-white thinking, a distraction lifestyle, the fear of change and negative impressions from others. * Explore the strength of character from which healthy dialogue springs-and the work of the soul that cultivates them. * Learn practical guidelines for dialogue and how they work in an imperfect world. * Encounter anecdotes of dialogue in action, from resolutions of interpersonal conflict to difficult dialogues on some of the most divisive issues of our age. * Use provocative questions at the end of each chapter to stimulate group discussion and individual reflection.
- Author BiographyJohn Backman is a member of the National Coalition for Dialogue & Deliberation board of directors and creator of The Dialogue Venture. He writes extensively on contemporary spirituality and its ability to help us dialogue across divides. His work has been published in several faith-based and secular publications. He is an associate in the Order of the Holy Cross, a community of Benedictine Episcopal monasteries in North America and South Africa. Kay Lindahl, the founder of The Listening Center in Long Beach, California, is author of How Does God Listen?; Practicing the Sacred Art of Listening: A Guide to Enrich Your Relationships and Kindle Your Spiritual Life; and The Sacred Art of Listening: Forty Reflections for Cultivating a Spiritual Practice. She is co-editor of Women, Spirituality and Transformative Leadership: Where Grace Meets Power.
- Author(s)John Backman
- PublisherJewish Lights Publishing
- Date of Publication01/10/2012
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationWoodstock
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSkyLight Paths Publishing,US
- Weight249 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Foreword byKay Lindahl
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $71.21Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.