All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $21.10
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
About this product
- DescriptionChina has more varied habitats for wildlife than anywhere else on the planet: rivers carve immense gorges through the world's loftiest mountain peaks; vast deserts range from searing heat to mind-numbing cold; wild horses gallop across grass steppe land; shallow seas teem with life; steaming jungles harbour colourful birds and temperate forests shelter giant pandas and golden snub-sed monkeys. But above all, China is a place of 1.3 billion people, most of whom still live in the countryside. By the improbable cone-shaped hills of Southern China, afloat in a sea of glistening rice paddies, streams conceal dwarf alligators and giant salamanders and trained cormorants catch fish for their masters. In the Himalayas where the temperature can drop nearly 30 C in a day, Mongolian mads roam on horseback along the ancient Silk Road, Kazakh herders hunt with Golden Eagles in the sw, and all share their land with wild yak, giant herds of Chiru antelope, brown bears and sw leopards. Vast river estuaries, migrating birds, coral reefs and busy cities jostle for attention along China's 10,000 km-long eastern seaboard. This cradle of Chinese civilization has developed into the country's most densely-populated and ecomically dynamic area, while remaining a Mecca for wildlife. To survive, this wildlife must co-exist with over 600 million people in a rapidly-changing environment. Wild China is a stunning visual feast - exploring the length and breadth of one of the world's most spectacular and mysterious countries.
- Author BiographyPHIL CHAPMAN, a biogeographer and zoologist, was the series producer of Wild China and has travelled widely in China. His other BBC series include Dragons Alive and Chimp Family Fortunes, along with many Natural World and Wildlife on One programmes. GAVIN MAXWELL was a producer on Wild China and has worked on many BBC series including Wildlife Specials, Nile, Predators, Animals - The Inside Story and Venom ER.
- PublisherEbury Publishing
- Date of Publication08/05/2008
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBBC Books
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight819 g
- Width190 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.