Wild Coast: Travels on South America's Untamed Edge by John Gimlette (Paperback / softback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $21.30Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $19.57Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGuyana, Suriname, and French Guiana are among the least-kwn places in South America: nine hundred miles of muddy coastline giving way to a forest so dense that even today there are virtually roads through it; a string of rickety coastal towns situated between the mouths of the Orico and Amazon Rivers, where living is so difficult that as many Guianese live abroad as in their homelands; an interior of watery, green anarchy where border disputes are often based on ancient Elizabethan maps, where flora and fauna are still being discovered, where thousands of rivers remain mostly impassable. And under the lens of John Gimlette brilliantly offbeat, irreverent, and canny these three small countries are among the most wildly intriguing places on earth. On an expedition that will last three months, he takes us deep into a remarkable world of swamp and jungle, from the hideouts of runaway slaves to the vegetation-strangled remnants of penal colonies and forts, from Little Paris to a settlement built around a satellite launch pad. He recounts the complicated, often surprisingly bloody, history of the region including the infamous 1978 cult suicide at Jonestown and introduces us to its inhabitants: from the world s largest ants to fluorescent purple frogs to head-crushing jaguars; from indigeus tribes who still live by sorcery to descendants of African slaves, Dutch conquerors, Hmong refugees, Irish adventurers, and Scottish outlaws; from high-tech pirates to hapless pioneers for whom this stunning, strangely beautiful world ( a sort of X-rated Garden of Eden ) has become home by choice or by force. In <i>Wild Coast, </i>John Gimlette guides us through a fabulously entertaining, eye-opening and sometimes jaw-dropping journey.
- Author Biography<b>John Gimlette</b> has won the Shiva Naipaul Memorial Prize and the Wanderlust Travel Writing Award, and he contributes regularly to <i>The Times </i>(London), <i>The Guardian, The Telegraph, The Independent, </i>and <i>Conde Nast Traveller. </i>When not traveling, he practices law in London.
- Author(s)John Gimlette
- PublisherVintage Books
- Date of Publication12/06/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Series TitleVintage Departures
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVintage Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight363 g
- Width130 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.