All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a book for anyone interested in wildlife, for art lovers, for tourists wanting a memento of their holiday, for everyone who loves the west coast of Scotland. It depicts a year in the life of Oronsay, a remote island that is farmed by the RSPB for the benefit of wildlife, and follows artist Jane Smith, as she attempts to portray the interactions of wildlife, farm animals and human inhabitants. A humorous, first-hand, personal view of island life, both human and otherwise, and is illustrated with Jane Smith's vibrant and acutely observed sketches, paintings and prints.Themes include:The trials of a wildlife artist - what does it feel like to sit in a bog all day? What is screen printing? Where are a bird's knees? Why does Jane always get covered in acrylic paint?Natural history - from otters to oil beetles, this book is full of wild encounters.Conservation management - sounds boring? Think of it more as 'how to grow a peregrine'. Once you start to understand the intricate connections and links involved, it becomes like a fascinating 3D puzzle.Getting to the island - the interplay of tides, wind, ferries and a strand-crossing mean that travelling to Oronsay is never dull.West coast living - the ridiculous things that happen when living on a remote island, cut off from the rest of the world.
- Author BiographyJane Smith was born in Sussex. After gaining a degree in Zoology, she became a wildlife film-maker for the BBC Natural History Unit and National Geographic, winning an Emmy for her work. When her children were born she changed direction, creating wildlife artwork as another way of communicating her passion for the natural world. She now lives in Argyll with her husband, also a wildlife film-maker, and children.
- Author(s)Jane Smith
- PublisherBirlinn General
- Date of Publication15/02/2016
- SubjectNatural History: Animal & Wildlife
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBirlinn Ltd
- Content Notecolour paintings and sketches throughout
- Weight907 g
- Width190 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.