All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionPulitzer Prize-winning journalist Maura McEnaney's fascinating and wide-ranging biography of businessman and entrepreneur Willard Garvey is, in many ways, a history of 20th-century America itself. Having come of age during the Dust Bowl, Garvey rode the rails during the height of the Great Depression to work in the California orchards made famous by the Grapes of Wrath . He sailed the Queen Mary to fight in World War II, and was one of the first three American officers in Berlin after its fall, subsequently attending the Potsdam Conference. Upon returning to the United States, he found success in real estate and foreign investments and funded affordable housing projects from South America to Asia, all the while campaigning tirelessly for independent journalism and limited government at home. McEnaney presents an intimate, humanizing portrait of an individual who could very often seem larger than life and offers readers a story of American progress, devotion to family, and a drive for success.
- Author Biography<strong>Maura McEnaney</strong> is an award-winning business writer and editor with more than 30 years of experience. A former journalist at <em>Bloomberg News</em> and the <em>Akron Beacon Journal</em>, her work has appeared in the <em>Boston Globe</em>, the <em>New York Daily News</em>, and the <em>Washington Post</em>, among other publications. She was a staff writer on the <em>Akron Beacon Journal</em>'s A Question of Color, a year-long project examining race relations in Akron, which won the Pulitzer Prize Gold Medal for Meritorious Service. She has been a close friend of the Garvey family for more than two decades.
- Author(s)Maura McEnaney
- PublisherLibertyTree Press
- Date of Publication30/03/2014
- SubjectBiography: Business
- Place of PublicationCA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLibertyTree Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight640 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.