Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
About this product
- DescriptionThe accession of William Wake (1657-1737) to the primacy of Great Britain in 1716 was hailed by Protestants all over Europe. Lutheran and Reformed theologians came to see Wake t only as the wisest choice the Anglican Church could have made but also as ather great apostle of Christian unity. Gallican and Jansenist theologians also were impressed by Wake's interest in ecumenical discussions. Their dissatisfaction with factional disputes within the Church in France and their consequent openness to the Anglican view of church history and basic theology are reflected in this critical edition of more than a thousand letters exchanged with Wake over a period of fifteen years. But this was an age when letters were probably the most reliable source of current news. It is therefore t surprising that they reflect an era in the social, ecomic, political and religious life of Western Europe deeply marked by controversy; for this was also the age of Voltaire, Montesquieu, Ellies Dupin and Pierre-Francois Le Courayer, the embattled librarian of the abbey of Sainte-Genevieve.
- Author BiographyThe Editor: Leonard Adams is a Professor in the Department of French Studies at the University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada. He holds degrees from the University of London and McMaster University, and is preparing a major study on religious controversy in eighteenth-century France. His previous publications include Coyer and the Enlightenment. The present edition is the prelude to an analysis of clerical and philosophical dissent in the French Englightenment.
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/07/1992
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleAmerican University Studies, Series 7: Theology & Religion
- Series Part/Volume Number58
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1992
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight760 g
- Edited byLeonard Adams
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.