All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWindows on the War is a groundbreaking publication-the first in English to focus on posters designed by the Soviet Union's TASS News Agency to bolster support for the Soviet war effort. TASS posters were created by a large collective of Soviet writers, printers, and artists, including such tables as Mikhail Cheremnykh, Nikolai Denisovskii, the Kukryniksy, and Pavel Sokolov-Skalia. Often six feet tall and always striking and bold, these stenciled posters were printed and placed daily in windows for the public to see. They were also sent abroad to serve as international cultural ambassadors, rallying Allied and neutral nations to the Soviet cause. Drawn from the Art Institute of Chicago's collection, as well as other private and public holdings, these TASS posters have t been seen since World War II. An international team of scholars presents the TASS posters both as unique historical objects and as artworks that reveal how preeminent artists of the day used unconventional technical and visual means to contribute to the war effort, marking a major chapter in the history of design and propaganda. Generously illustrated, the book presents photographs, documentary materials, and memorabilia in meaningful juxtapositions with images of the TASS posters. Also included are documents illuminating the expression of Russian cultural life in the United States during the war, opening a fascinating window onto the war along the Eastern Front.
- Author BiographyPeter Kort Zegers is the Rothman Family Research Curator, Department of Prints and Drawings, and Douglas W. Druick is Chair and Searle Curator of Medieval to Modern European Painting and Sculpture, and Chair and Prince Trust Curator of Prints and Drawings, both at the Art Institute of Chicago.
- Author(s)Peter Zegers
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication02/09/2011
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note300 color + 140 b-w illus.
- Weight2857 g
- Width247 mm
- Height323 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byDouglas W. Druick,Peter Kort Zegers
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.11
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.45
- AU $31.43Trending at AU $36.86
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.21
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.28
- AU $18.20Trending at AU $22.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.